Saturday, April 14, 2018

Cheeseburger Soup for Souper Sunday

Should this be called Cheeseburger Soup or shall I refer to it's true origin? Then it would be called Loser Soup but I don't want to get all negative.  Ok, ok....so I will tell you how it came about, this unplanned soup.  I must preface it with stating - this was delicious and hearty.


soup1

If you decide to make a cheeseburger soup then that's great.  And the reason for doing so isn't because a mistake was made, it's because you want to make that particular soup.  It had been a week of tiresome events and after walking Aja at the park, it was getting late.

Instead of picking up pizza or Chinese or just going home and tackling the planned meal (which was ratatouille posted here), I brought up the fact that I could be decadent and eat a cheeseburger.

soup2

Well now, that's like mentioning pizza or cake or whatever your naughty food craving is - it's out there now.  It's a mental image in your head and you are tired anyways so....take the easy way for dinner and go get X food.  The X is whatever you would cave in for and just get, vowing to be better later in the week.

For anyone who knows the rural area we reside, they will also know there isn't much choice for restaurants or....anything. I won't even mention the name of the truck stop "restaurant" we went to get this cheeseburger (embarrassment here).  We ordered a cheeseburger and were told by the waiter it would only be 30 cents more for a double.

"No, thank you," we said, "we only want a single patty."

So what does he return with?  Two double cheeseburgers.  It was way too much and we could have probably split one but....there you have it.  Almost impossible to eat as you would a regular burger and we cut it in pieces.  Obviously that was more meat than we wanted or could eat.  So I brought home the equivalent of one serving and used the meat for soup.

So, here is how I made a Cheeseburger Soup with leftover burger and fresh veggies.  Maybe the veggies counteracted the damage of the burger. Ha!

Cheeseburger Soup

Chop up 1 large onion, 2 stalks celery, several cloves of garlic, 2 carrots and several potatoes (I used red creamers).  Saute these until the onions are soft.  

Tip in a 14-ounce can of diced tomatoes, 2 TB tomato paste, salt, pepper, basil and oregano. 
Chop the leftover burger as well as you can and dump that in too. 
 Now add 2 cups of broth (I used vegetable broth)

Place in a Dutch oven or large pan with lid.  Place in a 350 F degree oven and let it all simmer for at least a half hour.  Add toppings as you like.  We used diced scallions and some shredded cheese.  

It was good!

Yes, we ought to have sent the waiter back and gotten what we ordered but.....I can't imagine how long we would have been there.  At least we had soup out of it.

Linking up with  Beth Fish's Weekend Cooking Series and with Deb at Kahakai Kitchen for Souper Sunday this week.  Here post and yummy soup may be found Here.


FullSizeRender (5)

10 comments:

  1. What? You didn't cube the rest of the bun and make it into soup croutons? (Or did you eat the whole bun with the other meat patty?) I think it sounds like a pefectly reasonable soup!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is exactly what I would do!!!

    Growing up my mother would make hamburger stew and to this day if I crave comfort I will make it too. Mom made it because it was a cheap meal she could stretch with potatoes and vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mae, the bun was a bit soggy by the time we ate most of one half. But I love adding toppings!

    Jackie, I try and use whatever is left in the fridge so save money. Never waste food, your mom had it right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did that with leftovers last night. Bob doesn't really care for them by themselves, so they tend to accumulate. Soooooo...minestrone, from little containers in my fridge: pasta, garbanzo beans, a bit of ham, sauteed veggies from two different dishes and soup stock from the freezer with seasonings and, Voila!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Burger soup ... I could get into this.... Have a great week. Cheers from Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete
  6. Claudia, that’s what I do too! Bits of everything make a great soup.

    Thanks, Carole.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love cheeseburger soup, and that was a great way to use the hamburger instead of waste it. Soups that are just thrown together with whatever you have on hand is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome save! The take-out choices in my little town are pretty minimal too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My favorite soups are usually the ones I toss together. This looks like perfect comfort food. Thanks for sharing it at Souper Sundays! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh this is brilliant and sounds delicious! I've really been struggling to make dinner most nights between being busy and being really tired I've given into temptation to pick up dinner more often than not. I have put together a few things to keep in the freezer (lasagna and a few other things like that) to try and prevent that. This sounds like a perfect dinner. I think I need to keep in mind different ways to use leftovers!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........