Thursday, December 28, 2017

Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie to warm your bones

Christmas is over and I imagine the traditional fare and leftovers are all gone.  We didn't do a traditional meal this year and kept with the usual dinners - grilling fish, spaghetti and so on.  Next year we will probably get back into the groove.  We didn't get the tree out and decided after a while it wasn't worth climbing into the attic.  Then we saw a very cool, pre-lit tree for half price at Walmart.  So we bought it and on Christmas eve - we put up this tree.  It took up almost all of the Subaru with the seats let down.


tree

It had been unseasonably warm here for quite a bit but now we are getting very cold temps.  A few frosty mornings, nothing like what folks in Minnesota or Wisconsin are getting.  Thankfully.

When the weather is cold, we enjoy a vegetarian version of Shepherd's Pie. Healthy and easy to toss together plus it's a comfort food.  Warming.

The prep isn't complicated but I sure messed up the kitchen with multiple dishes and pots.  My mixer is a dream to use but I like to get that metal bowl cleaned right away so nothing sticks.

So how easy is it?  I sauteed onions, garlic, corn, tomatoes, a can of beans (your choice of small white beans, kidney, red beans or black), a good dose of Worcestershire sauce and a small can of tomato sauce.  Get the mixture bubbling while the potatoes are boiling.

Turn the veg mixture into a small casserole dish and sprinkle with cheese.  This time I used sharp cheddar.

shep3

After ladling potatoes on top of the vegetable mixture you just pop in the oven at 375 F for 25 minutes.  I took advantage of that time to read my new book.  (Just discovered Nicci French and the Frieda Klein series.  Loving it so far.)

The mixture of white potatoes, cheddar and paprika makes a pretty sight once it melts together.  I suggest letting it sit 5 minutes before digging in so you don't burn your mouth.

shep2

Coming up I have a fast and healthy lunch to share.  It's also vegetarian fare and a great go-to if you are short of time for a lunch idea.


I am sharing this with Beth Fish's Weekend Cooking Series.

11 comments:

  1. It's hearty, healthy and warming, JoAnn :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your tree! I'm adding this to my "to make" recipe list. It sounds really easy and good.

    We were having warm weather but the last few days have been cold. They're predicting we might get a bit of snow in my area soon. I sure hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Vicki. We need to shop for giant plastic storage tubs to store it once we take it down. I recommend the recipe, hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your shepherd’s pie is very appealing. I must be a hopeless carnivore, though — I’d like it better with meat! Have a great year in 2018.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE Nicci French!!
    Have you read Tana French? Love how my brain hops around!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mashed potato topped dishes always call to me and I love your meat-free version of this diah. Looks like the perfect cozy comfort-food meal. ;-)
    Happy New year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tina, I'm sure it was great but for me a shepherd's pie has to have left over roast lamb in it... Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm freezing up here!! And I don't think it's going to get better for a bit. I've switched to all hot beverages and am taking at least 2 showers a day to warm up. We've talked some about buying property in Montana but I'm not sure I could handle the temperatures. Anything below 45 makes me want to hibernate. I'm glad you got a tree! I can understand not wanting to mess with it but Christmas is a little grey without it even if you're having a low key one. The Shepherd's Pie looks delicious but J has a weird thing about Shepherd's Pie and chicken pot pie or really anything in the casserole spectrum. I think it has to do with growing up in the 70s with a mother who rather enthusiastically embraced cream of mushroom soup. Happy New Years Tina!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yumm. We just did steaks and baked potatoes! AND we didn't decorate either. I think this year just drained my energy. Tomorrow is new beginnings, right?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your last minute tree looks great and I love the recipe- always looking for more vegetarian ideas

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........